The Bottom Line ∙ Santa Barbara, Calif.
Editor-in-Chief (May 2017 – present), Executive Content Editor (May 2016 – May 2017), Campus Beat Reporter (May 2015 – May 2016), Staff Writer (Nov. 2014 – May 2015)
- Guided a student-run weekly newspaper at the University of California, Santa Barbara to first-ever state and national awards, including a Pacemaker Award nomination
- Oversee 70 staff in direction of all written, filmed and photographed content
- Increased content production and website views by 30 percent over a year
- Lead 22-person editorial board in all content and business decisions
- Assist deputy, photo, layout and copy editors in producing weekly 8-page print issue
- Fact-check, research, edit and write stories
- Prepare by-laws, code of ethics and staff manual
Santa Barbara Independent ∙ Santa Barbara, Calif.
News Intern (Oct. 2017 – Dec. 2017, Apr. 2018 – present)
- Write stories for the news, living, and arts & entertainment sections of Santa Barbara’s alt-weekly newspaper
- Assist editors with research for news analyses
- Assisted news team with award-winning coverage of the 2017 Thomas Fire
KCSB 91.9 FM News ∙ Santa Barbara, Calif.
Contributor (Apr. 2016 – present)
- Write, record and file soundbites for the campus radio station’s nightly broadcast
- Conduct man-on-the-street interviews for breaking news, including the 2016 anti-Donald Trump rallies at UCSB
Associated Press ∙ Los Angeles, Calif.
Photo Room Runner/Messenger (Jan. 2014 – Jan. 2018)
- Bring SD cards to photo wire editors for immediate editing and upload
- Bring tripods, cameras and lenses to photo room at the end of each game
- Games ran: 2014 Bowl Championship Series Final, 2015 and 2016 NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Tournament West Regional Semi-Finals and Finals, 2015-2018 Rose Bowls, 2016 L.A. Rams games
San Francisco Magazine ∙ San Francisco, Calif.
Editorial Intern (June 2017 – Sep. 2017)
- Researched and fact-checked 5-10 print stories per issue of San Francisco’s regional lifestyle magazine
- Wrote front-of-the-book pieces for magazine’s “Currents” section
- Aided editors with transcriptions, directories, photo shoots and press image requests
- Assisted with the reporting and fact-checking of the October 2017 issue, which was part of an ASME Ellie Award-winning package for General Excellence
TakePart.com ∙ Los Angeles, Calif.
Editorial Intern (June 2016 – Sep. 2016)
- Wrote 2-3 articles weekly for Participant Media’s news and social advocacy website on social issues, including education, food insecurity and mental health
- Created photo slideshows as content for marketing/advertising team
- Designed and presented a marketing/content campaign with a team of 3 interns on the 2016 presidential elections to Participant Media executives
HelloFlo ∙ Remote
Contributor (Jan. 2015 – Aug. 2016)
- Wrote 1-2 articles weekly for a women’s health vertical, covering reproductive rights, politics, and international affairs
- Languages: Cantonese (native), English (native), Mandarin Chinese (limited proficiency), Vietnamese (beginner)
- Reporting: AP Style, Chicago Style, DSLR photography, fact-checking
- Software: Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Audacity
- Web: HTML, WordPress